UK Ancestry Visa allows all the Commonwealth citizens who are the proven immediate descendants of UK citizens permission to live and work in the UK. Many Indian, New Zealand, Australian, South African, and Canadian nationals have close ancestral ties with British citizens.
What is the eligibility for UK ancestry visa
To have a successfully application for a Ancestry UK Visa, you must fulfil the following criteria:
- Be a Commonwealth citizen
- Aged 17 years or above
- Have a grandparent born in the UK, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or in the Republic of Ireland before 31.03.1922
- You have strong will to work and live in the UK
- You can support yourself and any dependants without having to claim and access the public funds
How do I apply?
You will have to make an application online and pay fees. You also need to book and attend appointments at the nearest UK visa centre for biometric information to be processed. If you are from North Korea, you are exempt from this online process.
Once approved the visa is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.
What documents should I provide to apply for a UK ancestry visa?
You will need to show the following documents to get a UK Ancestry Visa.
- A valid passport
- Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and family member if you are travelling with dependents
- The results of the tuberculosis test, if applicable in your country of residence
- Furnish document of your claimed relationship to the British citizen your ancestry claim is based upon
- Documented evidence that you are planning to work in the UK, for example, any job offers or a business plan if you are self-employed.
How to demonstrate that you are seeking employment opportunities in the UK
The caseworker scrutinizing and representing your application will confirm various factors such as your age and any physical or mental disabilities you may have when deciding whether there is a real possibility that you can secure employment and not have to rely on public funds. However, if it happens that your application has been refused simply on the grounds of a medical disability, you will be able to challenge the decision under the Equality Act 2010.
An applicant who has not worked or cannot show proof of attempts to find employment during their initial 5 year period will not qualify for settlement.
It is therefore important that you see legal assistance from the best immigration lawyers in London. A Y & J Solicitors have been assisting their clients for over 10 years now. They understand the complexities of UK law and provide tailor-made solutions to each unique immigration and visa application.
What are the benefits of a UK ancestry visa?
There are several benefits of a UK Ancestry Visa. The main benefit is that it offers a direct route to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain and eventually a British Citizenship. Requirements are quite straightforward, your entry into the UK for this visa is based solely on family connections with the UK national. Some of the other benefits are mentioned as:
- You can study, work and live in the UK without any restrictions.
- There is no requisite for a work permit or sponsor.
- There is no need for you to invest financially to gain entry in the UK as compared with the Investor or Entrepreneur visa route.
- There are no restrictions on the mode of employment undertaken by you during your residence in the UK.
- Your spouse, or civil or unmarried partner and your dependent(children) can all be benefited by joining you in the UK on an ancestry visa.