Do you want to have a sole and secure network for your home? Well, Netgear WiFi range extender is the ultimate choice for you. The device provides you with one network name (SSID) and passphrase (network key or password) so that you don’t have to switch between WiFi networks while roaming around your home. You can easily get connected to the extender’s WiFi by using its default password.
But, keeping the Netgear extender password as default can increase the risk of hacking. That is why, it is very important to change the default password of your Netgear extender in order to secure it from potential threats. However, 4 out of 5 users don’t want to change the default login credentials of their Netgear device. The reason behind not changing the default Netgear extender password is clear – they fear to forget or lose them.
Need not to worry! As you continue reading this post, you will not only get to know the steps to change the default Netgear extender password but also how to recover them (if forgotten). Let’s hit the nail on the head!
Steps to Change Netgear Extender Default Password
- First and foremost, plug your Netgear extender into a working wall outlet.
- Wait till the power LED on your Netgear extender becomes solid green.
- Connect your Netgear extender to your router using an Ethernet cable.
- Turn on your computer or laptop and connect it to Netgear_ext.
- Open an up-to-date internet browser and enter www.mywifiext.net in the URL bar.
- Press Enter to Continue.
- The Netgear extender login page displays.
- Enter the default username and password and click on Log In.
- The Netgear Genie page will display.
- Click on Settings and then the Wireless Settings option.
- Enter your new Network Name (SSID) in the provided filed.
- Under WiFi Password, select ‘Use a different password’ and select your preferred Security Type.
- Thereafter, enter your Password (passphrase or network key). It is suggested to create a unique, easy, but hard-to-detect password for your Netgear extender.
- Verify it, scroll down, and click on Save for your changes to get saved.
Bonus Tip: Just in case, the web address, www.mywifiext.net is not allowing you to access the Netgear extender login page, use 192.168.1.250. This is the default IP address of your Netgear WiFi range extender. To know more about the IP address, refer to Netgear extender manual.
Thus, in this way, you can easily change the default Netgear extender password. Moving on, let’s guide you on how to recover the forgotten or lost password of your Netgear extender. Continue reading!
Steps to Recover the Lost or Forgotten Password
- First things first, connect the extender’s power adapter into a working and damage-free wall socket.
- Then, launch a web browser as per your liking on a computer that is connected to Netgear_ext.
- Grab an Ethernet cable and use it to connect your Netgear extender and your existing router. To prevent any issues, it is suggested to use a well-maintained and non-damaged Ethernet cable.
- Once you’re done, hover your mouse cursor over the browser’s address bar and enter 192.168.1.250 or www.mywifiext.net.
- A login window will display on your computer or laptop screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and at last, click on Continue for your changes to get saved.
Note: The steps highlighted above will only work only if you have enabled the Password Recovery feature at the time of Netgear extender setup.
To recover the extender password, you can also make use of the Netgear app.
The Final Words
Here’s to hope that this piece of writing has helped you out to change the default Netgear extender password without any hassle. If you have more Netgear extender-related queries, feel free to ask from our team of competent technical experts.