WiFi networks are getting hacked on a regular basis nowadays. To ensure t hat no potential threats come near your home network, I’ve written this article. Here, I’ve mentioned the topmost ways through which you can secure the WiFi network of your Netgear Nighthawk router from unauthorized users. Thus, waste no more time, and read on.
Note: While going through this article, if you get stuck at any point, don’t think twice before getting in touch with our technicians. They’ll surely be of some assistance to you.
Topmost Tips to Secure Your Home WiFi Network
Change Your Router’s Password
Your Netgear WiFi router comes with a default password. And this password is accessible to every third sitting out there waiting to hack into your WiFi network. Thus, if you want to secure your wireless network, start by changing the password of your Netgear Nighthawk router.
Don’t worry. Changing the password of your device isn’t that difficult. Follow the below-mentioned steps to change the password of your device:
- Connect your router to the power adapter using a power cable.
- Power on your device and let the LED turn a shade of green.
- Connect your Netgear Nighthawk router and modem wirelessly.
- Then, open a web browser on your PC and access the Netgear Nighthawk setup page.
- Click on the Settings button and look for the Password option.
- Once found, enter the new password you want your device to have.
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard and wait for your changes to get saved.
Hide Your Router’s SSID
The network name of your Netgear Nighthawk router is visible to everyone. Thus, make sure that you disable the network name of your device if you want the hackers to stay outside the door. Mentioned below are the instructions that you need to follow in order to change the network name of your Nighthawk router:
- Open a new tab in your browser and access the Netgear router setup page.
- Click on Advanced and go to Administration.
- Click on Wireless Settings and disable SSID broadcast.
By following these instructions, the network name of your Netgear Nighthawk router will get hidden. In case you face any issues while trying to hide the network name of your device, feel free to get in touch with our experienced technical experts.
Update the Router’s Firmware
Updating the firmware of your Netgear Nighthawk router is another thing that you need can do in order to secure your home wireless network.
Walk through the instructions mentioned below and learn how to update the firmware of your Nighthawk router to its latest version:
- Grab a cable and create a connection between your Netgear router and modem.
- Connect your PC to the router’s network and log into your router.
- Refer to the Netgear manual before filling in the default admin details.
- Then, go to Settings > Administration.
- Look for the Firmware Update option.
- Once found, follow the on-screen instructions to update your device.
Updating the firmware of your device will open a path for you to explore new security features, thereby presenting you with another opportunity to secure your home network.
Thus, this was all about how to secure the WiFi network of your Netgear Nighthawk router. We hope that this article was worth your time. In case you have any doubts or queries regarding how to secure your wireless network, you already know that you can reach out to our experts at any hour of the day.
Note: If you want to secure your extender’s wireless network, then access the Netgear extender setup page, and follow the guidelines mentioned in this article.