Ever felt a sudden severe pain in the joints or bones. The reason behind this pain may be the broken bones caused by a heavy fall or any accident, or we can say, applying a great extent of force or bending them beyond their capacity can give you a broken bone. Broken bones can happen to anyone irrespective of their age and health status. But your broken bone or fracture needs to be adequately healed and must come to its original position to live a healthy life.
Bones are one of the most essential and fundamental components of the body, which helps our body stay in its correct posture. Our body comprises 206 bones, including all types of bones ranging from some tiny to some large-sized bones. Bones have the power to rebuild themselves, but a sudden jerk or extra unwanted pressure can cause a fracture in the bones. Fortunately, the fracture can be treated. Here in this article, you will explore every little detail of bone fracture repair. Keep scrolling!
Methods of treatment –
Although several different methods can repair broken bones, they mainly depend upon the severity of the fracture. Sometimes methods of treating broken bones are switched from one method to another depending upon the pace of healing. Some minor breaks can be treated simply by setting them immobile a cast or splint, but you need to go with a bone fracture repair when the suspension is severe.
What is bone fracture repair?
When methods of casting and splinting fail to treat the breakage, or the use of a cast is undesirable over a long period, the one process which is still an option to be used for the treatment is bone fracture repair. Bone fracture repair is effective because, in any case, the fracture could not be healed. It can have a dangerous impact on the mobility of the affected person. In bone fracture repair, surgery is done for the bone to stay in place under the skin after its repair, with the help of surgical plates and screws, pins, and rods. Bone fracture repair is also popularly known as open reduction and internal fixation.
The procedure –
In a bone fracture repair surgery or ORIF, the surgeon would give you regular anaesthesia to put you to sleep or local anaesthesia to make the particular injured area numb so that you won’t feel any pain while the surgery is performed.
A slit would be made on the spot of fracture for the plates and screws to be placed. After this, the fractured bone is repaired by setting it into its place correctly with the help of screws and pins. Depending upon the seriousness of the injury, these surgical plates and screws are made permanent or temporary. The other internal damages, including damaged blood vessels and muscles, are repaired too. The repair may even need bone grafts in some cases. After this, the incised wound is closed and stitched, and wrapped in a proper clean dressing. In most surgeries, the operated organ is immobilized in a cast after the surgery so that the healed body part gets moral support during its healing period.
Things to keep in mind –
Going through surgery is not a joke. It is a big deal, and that is why there are various precautions to take and several essential instructions to follow before going for surgery.
● First of all, never hide anything from the doctor. Discuss your medical history and all the medical conditions you have before going for the surgery.
● Sincerely go for all the tests and image testing that the doctor would recommend, such as MRI and X-ray.
● Do not eat anything after midnight before surgery.
● Always have someone by your side in the hospital to take care of you, take you back home, or have an emergency.
● According to the severity of your injury, you might be recommended to stay in the hospital for some time, so be prepared for it when you come to the hospital.
● There is nothing to worry about if you can feel the plates used for fracture beneath your skin when you feel it in the place of soft tissues. It is very typical.
After surgery preparations –
The process of surgery is not over with the surgery being completed. A big part of the procedure is still left, which is the healing part or the after-surgery part. It is one of the most crucial parts of the surgery because only we are supposed to get the results in this part. You can follow the steps mentioned below to get help regarding the healing process after surgery –
● Take proper precautions to avoid getting an injury in the already injured part
● Take a diet that can help in speeding up the recovery that is a diet that is rich in vitamin D and calcium.
● Take help of physical therapy for better healing, perform the light exercise in the starting days of healing, and then increase the pace as the recovery speeds up.
● Medical instrument manufacturing companies in India produce various instruments that can help you in your physical therapy, such as traction kits and gel balls. So you can use these instruments for more convenient healing.
So, now you know most of the things with relation to Bone fracture repair. If your bones are not healing with regular casting and splinting, go for an ORIF and get those bones healed.